Sunday, April 1, 2012

New Vlog and Website Developments

To begin with, I have a new vlog entry:



I like how YouTube won't let you pick your thumbnail unless you are a partner. So I get these strange freeze frames while I'm in the middle of saying something. Attractive.

As I continue to work on my website update, I have encountered a dilemma. Much of the stuff I have on my site currently is from prior to 2008, before I got my new computers and back when all I had was GPO. Not that there's anything wrong with it, there is just a markedly different aspect to the quality of the samples, to my ear. So while I plan nonetheless to post older works created with the old library, I can't help but feel a little pang of conflict, knowing that if I were to re-realize these projects with the latest technology, they would sound truly amazing. For example, Instinct Vs. Reason. I recently remastered the soundtrack (which was more of a from the MIDI-up re-sequencing, programming, realizing, recording, mixing and mastering), and the original version created with GPO:

Excerpt of the new version (which is likely also autoplaying in the upper right as we speak):



Original version:



See what I mean? While GPO offered an unparalleled flexibility and ease of use, and while I loved every minute of the 4-plus years I spent making it do everything it was conceivably capable of doing, I needed more, and they just couldn't create the Pro version fast enough. Oh yes, there was talk years ago of creating a pro version of GPO with a lot more bells and whistles. Unfortunately we needed more, and we needed it now.

So I'm forging ahead uploading the older versions of my projects, with all the conflict and nostalgia they carry with them. I know that someday I'll have better versions to offer. And those versions won't even need samples because they will have live players. Here's hoping!