Friday, October 15, 2010

Empty Your Cup

Gotta write something... I'm having a bit of writers block at the moment on a piece I'm working on, and I think I've figured out at least part of what is holding me back.

I will illustrate this by mentioning having watched the film 2012. While the film isn't what I would consider a great film, I like explosions and impressive stunts as much as anyone who typically likes that stuff (the score was good!), but the point is there is a scene at a monastery in China where they reenact an old proverb, which I had forgotten. Forgive me for butchering this: the older monk pours tea in a cup and keeps pouring and the younger monk, says, but the cup is already full, and the tea overflows and runs all over the table. The older monk says (something like), "Your mind is full of opinions and pre-conceived notions. In order to achieve enlightenment, first you must empty your cup."

And I think that is part of my problem. I have all these ideas and opinions of what music is supposed to sound like when it comes out of my brain, and all that is really getting in the way of the music being able to flow out. I'm having a similar problem with proper breath support, when I play (I play the oboe if I hadn't mentioned that yet). I think I know how to do it properly, but again, the cup is so full that I get in my own way.  I need to get out of my way, so I can get something done around here! Now all I have to do is figure out HOW to do it. But first I need to sleep.